School libraries serve as a basis of diverse information resources ranging from print, visual, audio-visual to electronic resources. They fulfil various information needs of learners and educators within the parameters of curriculum development and enrichment.
The aims of a school library is to:
- Provide learners and teachers with a wide range of quality library resources
- Facilitate teaching of library and information skills that enables learners to be information literate.
- Promote reading for information and pleasure as a fundamental skill for lifelong learning.
- Promote use of Information and Communication Technology [ICT] as a modernised tool for acquiring information.
- Provide a suitable environment for self-directed study, research and independent learning.
- Provide adequate functional facilities for group work or class-work.